How can you retrieve your deleted messages from messenger on Android? We’ve detailed three different methods for recovering lost messages from the messenger app on Android. You can easily use any of these methods to find one that can recover your deleted messages.
Recovering deleted messages is a frequently asked question of Facebook help forums. It is a common query by many folks. Often you can end up losing your data on an Android device along with all your messages on messenger. Or perhaps you accidentally deleted something you wished to keep.
Whatever the case, your messages are not lost forever. There are some reliable methods you can attempt to recover these messages on any Android device.
Messages that are deleted from messenger will no longer appear within the conversation. The same is true for entire chats. They are no longer visible in the recent chats section. And you cannot access any of the messages within a deleted chat.
Because it is extremely difficult to recover messages or chats that have been completely deleted from the messenger app on Android, we highly recommend you archive or hide the chats you no longer wish to see.
It is often the case that a deleted conversation contains certain messages that we need at a later date.
For the same reason, it is highly recommended to keep a backup of all of your account data. This can be done quite easily, and the exact process has also been shared below.
If you’ve already gotten rid of the conversation you want, there are some methods you can use to try and recover deleted messages from the Android messenger app.
Look for lost messages in archived chats.
Firstly you can try checking on messenger to see if your lost messages were simply archived. Sometimes when people go to delete their messages, they end up archiving the entire conversation. If this is the case, you can recover your deleted messages easily enough by following these simple steps:
- Open up the messenger app on your Android device.
- Find the tab that contains your recent conversations.
- In the search bar, try and search for the chat that contained deleted or lost messages.
- Even if the chat was previously archived, you could still find it within the search results.
- Once you see the chat you are looking for, simply select it and click the unarchive option.
You can also find archive conversations on the Facebook website. For this, you’ll have to open up your messages and then navigate to “more”, and then “archive.”
Recover deleted messages from Android storage
- If you’ve deleted your message completely from the messenger app instead of archiving them, you can try a different method to recover your lost messages.
- Android often keeps some of an app’s data even after it has been deleted or removed. Since the messages contained within the Facebook app are technically stored on your device’s physical storage, it may be possible to recover them.
- For this, you will need a simple file manager on your Android device; the default built-in app will do fine. Then you can simply follow the given steps to look for your deleted Facebook messages within your phone’s storage.
- If you don’t have a proper file manager or explorer app, you can quickly download one from the play store.
- Once obtained, Open up the app and navigate to the internal storage of your phone.
- You’ll have to open the “Android” folder and navigate to the “data” file.
Here you can search for the folder that contains all the data stored by the Facebook app.
- Generally, this folder will be named as
- Once you’ve found and opened the folder, go to “cache” and then “fb_temp.”
This is the folder that contains the backup for all of your Facebook messenger conversations.
If you find the conversation or messages you’re looking for; you can copy the files to a different location to recover them safely.
Recover messages from downloaded Facebook data
Facebook users can download a copy of all the data associated with their accounts. This prevents them from losing all of their conversations on messenger.
If you’ve downloaded your account data from Facebook in the past, you can use it to recover any deleted or lost messages.
- Go to Facebook and log in to your account before opening the settings tab.
- Navigate to the “general account settings.”
- Find the “download a copy of your Facebook data” option and click it.
- You’ll need to confirm your password; after that, you will download your data.
The data obtained by following this method will be in the form of a compressed zip file.
If you’ve saved your Facebook data previously, all you have to do is use a simple program or an app, if you’re using Android, to unzip the folder.
Within the uncompressed files, you will find the relevant conversations that were backed up.
Here you can easily search for any previously deleted messages from messenger and safely copy them to a different location in your device storage to properly recover them.
It is extremely difficult to recover any messenger data that has been completely wiped or lost. But you can use one of these methods to try your luck at recovering deleted messages from messenger on Android.